Co-written with clinical psychologist and professor Dr. Russell Kolts, this book presents ideas and techniques drawn from Buddhism, western psychological approaches, as well as the authors’ personal experiences, in working to develop compassion in their own lives and in their work with others.
Each chapter provides fuel for thought and contemplation as you go through your day, inspiring your motivation to be compassionate, helping you to understand compassion, and giving you specific methods for applying it in your life.
Living with an Open Heart is the U.K. edition of this book. The U.S. edition is now available under the title An Open-Hearted Life.
The story behind the book
Venerable Thubten Chodron reads an excerpt
- “Healing the mind: perspectives from Buddhism and psychology” with Venerable Thubten Chodron and Dr. Russell Kolts, Buddhist Fellowship, Singapore
- “Healing with love and compassion” with Venerable Thubten Chodron, Vajrayana Institute, Sydney
- “Advice on living with an open heart” with Venerable Thubten Chodron, Land of Medicine Buddha, California
- “Moving towards compassion” with Dr. Russell Kolts, Sravasti Abbey, Newport
- “Living with an Open Heart: The vastness of compassion” Kuching Dhamma Vijaya Buddhist Centre, Kuching, Malaysia
- “Living with an Open Heart: An Introduction” Friends of Sravasti Russia, Moscow, Russia
- A Year of Living With an Open Heart: A Study Guide
- Monthly reflections from a book group in Seattle
- See more on the page for An Open-Hearted Life
Foreword by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
I always tell people that my religion is kindness, because kindness is “in our bones.” Without kindness, none of us could survive. When we are born we are welcomed with kindness and compassion. Due to the kindness of others, we have food, shelter, clothing, and medicine—all that we need to stay alive. As children, under the care of others, we receive an education and learn good values that help us in life. Having enjoyed the benefits of others’ kindness, it is only natural that we repay it. Read more …
Post your review on Amazon
“Living with an Open Heart” powerfully blends the techniques and insights of contemporary psychotherapy and Buddhist thought to show us how to lead a more meaningful and compassionate life.
—Thupten Jinpa, Principal English translator to the Dalai Lama and author, “Essential Mind Training”
A uniquely creative, useful guide to improving your life.
—Paul Ekman, co-author (with His Holiness the Dalai Lama), “Emotional Awareness”
A collection of meditations on the practice of compassion in everyday life that provides a recipe for a deeper life and a better world.
—Daniel Gilbert, Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology, Harvard University, author of the international bestseller, “Stumbling on Happiness”