Arya disposition and Buddha nature
116 Samsara, Nirvana, and Buddha Nature
Part of an ongoing series of teachings (retreat and Friday) based on the book Samsara, Nirvana, and Buddha Nature, the third volume in The Library of Wisdom and Compassion series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Proper ways to develop confidence in the Three Jewels
- Dispositions of beings according to different systems
- For Vaibashikas, non-attachment
- Four qualities of aryas with contentment and lack of greed
- For Sautrantikas, potential or seed for the arising of unpolluted mind
- Importance of learning, reflecting and meditating
- Nirvana with remainder and nirvana without remainder
- Latency, seed or potency that existed from beginningless time according to Cittamatrins
- Explanation of buddha potential or disposition
- Naturally abiding buddha disposition and transforming buddha disposition
- Three schools and five dispositions according to Cittamatra Scriptural Proponents
- Qualities or attitudes of beings and practices they adopt according to their disposition
- Set of things that suppress the buddha disposition and set of things that activate it
- One final vehicle according to Cittamatra Reasoning Proponents
- With what attitude do you approach the Three Jewels? Do you see them as authority figures, with skepticism, with blind faith? We take refuge many times a day. What are we doing? Why do we recite the verses we do? How does it help our mind?
- What do Vaibhasikhas emphasize as the cause of cyclic existence and thus, the corresponding path to liberation? What four qualities do they assert that aryas possess which contribute to actualizing the path and generating realizations? Because we too want to attain liberation and awakening, consider what you can do to begin cultivating these qualities now. Spend some time with this, making examples of changes you can make in your own life.
- According to Sautantrikas. what is the explanation for why all beings have the potential to attain the path? How can that potential be nourished? What kinds of actions interrupt or cut that potential?
- What are the five dispositions of the Cittamatra sciptural proponents? What does each disposition of the final three vehicles study to attain their goal? What activities impede buddha disposition? What activities nourish it?
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.