Part of an ongoing series of teachings (retreat and Friday) based on the book Samsara, Nirvana, and Buddha Nature, the third volume in The Library of Wisdom and Compassion series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- How to apply the antidotes to the afflictions as a layperson
- True cessation is attained by training the mind
- How to engage with each truth
- The result of each truth
- The coarse and subtle four truths
- Two ways to follow a tenet system
- Questions on coarse and subtle selflessness
- The 16 attributes of the four truths of the aryas
- Four distorted conceptions
Samsara, Nirvana, and Buddha Nature 07: The attributes of the four truths (download)
- How are we to engage with each of the four truths? Why is the emptiness of how we engage with each truth important?
- What is included in true dukkha? What are its four attributes and what distorted conceptions do they counter? Spend some time with each of these pairs. Make some examples from your own experience of how you hold to the distorted conceptions.
- Do you have a feeling that you control your body and mind?
- What is a self-sufficient substantially existent person? How does it manifest in your life?