This practice is a method to purify and accumulate merit from The King of Prayers: The Extraordinary Aspiration of the Practice of Samantabhadra, which contains all aspects of the Bodhisattva practice. These talks were given at the Mid-America Buddhist Association (MABA) in Augusta, Missouri, USA on May 5 and May 12, 2002.
Introduction: the purpose of the Seven-Limb Practice (download)
- The ultimate purpose of the practice: enlightenment for ourselves and other beings.
- The story behind the sutra.
- Establishing the Bodhisattva practice.
- Purifying our mind and accumulating positive potential.
Prostration: part one (download)
- Bowing—the practice of paying homage.
- Prostrating with body, speech, and mind.
- Energy and aspiration for bodhisattva way.
- Bowing mentally, visualizing the Buddha.
- Bowing verbally.
Questions and answers: why doesn’t the Buddha get angry, and why do we? (download)
- What lies behind anger and how to eliminate anger.
- The relationship of ignorance to anger.
- Why the Buddha does not get angry.
Prostration: part two (download)
- Significance of “mothers” in Buddhism.
- Seven ways to purify our minds and to accumulate positive potential (merit).
- The benefits of prostrating with body, speech and mind.
- The purpose and ways of making offering.
- How to overcome miserliness and stinginess.
- Practical ways to purify the mind and create positive potential (merit).
- Revealing and letting go of all mistakes.
- The benefits of rejoicing in the good fortune of others.
- Training the mind to feel happy about our good deeds and positive actions of others.
- Enriching the mind and looking at the world in different light.
Requesting teachings (download)
- Cultivate interest and appreciation of the Buddha’s teachings, and request teachings from the Buddha.
- How requesting teachings transforms the mind.
Requesting that the Buddhas and spiritual mentors remain (download)
- Requesting enlightened beings to remain in the world and teach.
- Creating karma to be able to meet teachers and to be able to meet enlightened beings in the future.
Dedication and questions and answers (download)
- Dedicating our spiritual energies towards the purpose of full awakening and full enlightenment.
- Protecting positive potential from being destroyed.
- What is the difference between the hearer, solitary realizer and Bodhisattva vehicles?
- How can one purify negative actions done but cannot be remembered?