Approaching the Buddhist Path: Study Guide
Approaching the Buddhist Path, Volume 1 in The Library of Wisdom and Compassion, introduces us to the Buddha’s teachings on the path to full awakening. This study guide provides points for contemplation and encourages us to implement them in our lives.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama has been publicly teaching Buddhism for decades. The Library of Wisdom and Compassion shares the Buddha’s teachings on the complete path to full awakening that he himself has practiced his entire life. This study guide supports Approaching the Buddhist Path, the first volume of the series. The contemplation points are organized by book chapter as well as by the dates of recorded teachings given by Venerable Chodron during 2018-19.
Approaching the Buddhist Path starts from the universal human wish for happiness and presents the dynamic nature of the mind. It also provides a wealth of reflections on Buddhist history and fundamentals, contemporary issues, and the Dalai Lama’s own personal experiences. It stands alone as an introduction to Buddhism, but also provides a foundation for the systematic illumination of the path in the volumes to come.
Associated talks and teachings can be found here.
- Introduction to This Guide
- Chapter 1 – Exploring Buddhism
- Chapter 2 –The Buddhist View of Life
- Chapter 3 – Mind and Emotions
- Chapter 4 – The Spread of the Buddhadharma and Buddhist Canons
- Chapter 5 – The Buddha’s Teachings Form a Cohesive Whole
- Chapter 6 – Investigating the Teachings
- Chapter 7 – The Importance of Kindness and Compassion
- Chapter 8 – A Systematic Approach
- Chapter 9 – Tools for the Path
- Chapter 10 – Making Progress
- Chapter 11 – Personal Reflections on the Path
- Chapter 12 – Working in the World