Sangha activities as a community
From lay life to community life
A talk given during Sravasti Abbey’s annual Exploring Monastic Life program in 2014.
- The difficulty of finding places in the USA to explore monastic life or to train as monastics
- A core value is simplicity in lifestyle
- Understanding celibacy, questioning if monastics are repressing their sexuality
- Why it’s important for monastics to live together in a sangha community
- Importance of understanding the reasons for precepts
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.