A talk given during Sravasti Abbey’s annual Exploring Monastic Life program in 2015.
- Working with our self-centered thoughts that drive our attachment to approval
- The eight types of pratimoksa precepts
- The five lay precepts and how to keep them
- Questions and answers
- Relating to a spiritual mentor
- The meaning of temporary ordination
- The importance of being a central land
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.