86 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds
Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Shantideva’s classic text, Bodhisattvacharyavatara, often translated as Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds. Venerable Thubten Chodron also refers to the outline of the commentary by Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen and the commentary by the Abbot Dragpa Gyaltsen.
- Looking at what gives meaning and purpose to your life
- Verse 15: Dharma is the source of delight
- Verse 16: Overcoming discouragement and developing enthusiasm for the Dharma
- Verse 17: Overcoming discouragement by avoiding thoughts of self-doubt
- Verse 18: All beings can attain awakening
- Verse 19: Recognizing what to practice and abandon
- Verse 20: Discriminating between what is useful and non-useful
- Verses 21-22: Enduring limited suffering to remove a greater suffering
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.