Part of an ongoing series of teachings (retreat and Friday) based on the book The Foundation of Buddhist Practice, second volume in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- How purification affects the results
- Preventing the coming together of cooperative conditions
- Reflecting on purification with emptiness and dependent arising
- Repeated purification and changes in daily life occurrences
- Creating the causes for the kind of person we want to be
- Short term and long term, suffering or beneficial results of our actions
- Dharma actions or eight worldly concerns
- Motivation for good rebirth, liberation, bodhicitta
The Foundation of Buddhist Practice 81: Creating Our Future (download)
- What are ways in which purification affects the ripening of our karma? What is it that completely takes the potencies out of our mind completely? What are some signs that purification is working?
- Why might you (or perhaps others) not follow the Buddha’s advice, but pay more attention to the fortune tellers or Mo’s?
- What future do you envision for yourself and are your actions in line with that vision? For instance: What kind of place do you want to live in? What kind of people do you want for friends? What kind of qualities do you want to have in the future? What kind of person do you want to be? You’re creating the causes right now. Really spend some time with this.