Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Approaching the Buddhist Path, the first book in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- How our culture emphasizes our emotions
- Understanding what attachment is and how its related to other afflictions
- The disadvantages of clinging to people and things
- The difference between how society and Buddhism view attachment
- Contrasting wisdom fear versus ordinary fear
11 Approaching the Buddhist Path: Emotions and Klesas (download)
- Take some time and reflect on what it would be like to live in a culture that does not focus on “my emotions.” Take a specific aspect of your life and consider how it would be different without this focus.
- Attachment: Describe why jealousy is based on attachment and how you can overcome it.
- Fear: When meditating on the lower realms, sometimes you can be overcome by a panicky fear. What is the best antidote for this kind of fear and how do you proceed practicing?