This index lists sub-categories under “Monastic Life” and related series, which are teachings on the same text or topic arranged chronologically. You’ll see that some teachings are found both in sub-categories and in series, giving you more browsing options. To access all teachings in series on the entire website, click on the drop-down menu in the right-hand sidebar under “Browse series of articles.”
Sub-categories and series under this category
- Preparing for Ordination
Experienced monks and nuns give thoughts, reflections, and advice on considering and preparing for Buddhist ordination.
- Series: Preparing for Ordination (booklet)
- Exploring Monastic Life
Annual retreats at Sravasti Abbey in which participants examine life as a monastic.
- Exploring Monastic Life 2005
- Exploring Monastic Life 2006
- Exploring Monastic Life 2007
- Exploring Monastic Life 2008
- Exploring Monastic Life 2009
- Exploring Monastic Life 2010
- Exploring Monastic Life 2011
- Exploring Monastic Life 2012
- Exploring Monastic Life 2013
- Exploring Monastic Life 2014
- Exploring Monastic Life 2015
- Importance of Vinaya
How do devotion to monastic vows, precepts, and discipline benefit individuals and the world?
- Bhikshuni Ordination
Perspectives on reviving Bhikshuni and Bhikkhuni Ordination in lineages and regions where it does not presently exist.
- Statements from HH the Dalai Lama
- Tibetan Tradition
- Congress of Women’s Role in the Sangha
- In the Theravada Tradition
- Sangha Education
Perspectives on the importance and the challenges of education in Buddhist monastic institutions.
- Monastics in the West
Articles on western monasticism, full text of the book, Blossoms of the Dharma: Living as a Buddhist Nun (1999), and reports from annual western Buddhist Monastic Conferences.
- Buddhist Nuns
Articles and teachings on the full equality of women in practicing and teaching the Dharma.
The Sanskrit term skandhaka means “chapter,” or “division,” and especially refers to a major section of the vinaya. The twenty skandhakas in the Dharmguptaka Vinaya deal with the conduct of monastics as collective members of the saṅgha community.
- Kathina Celebrations