Commentary on Chapter 6 of Shantideva’s A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life given at Sravasti Abbey from April 28 to May 6, 2009.
- All delusions and sufferings stem from grasping at a self that doesn’t exist; how therefore one’s own egotistic view is one’s real enemy
- The second kind of patience, which is patience by thinking about the reality of phenomena
- This topic has three subtopics, of which Geshe-la covers the first two:
- There is no anger or angry person independent of causes and conditions (because one is under the power of delusions; because anger doesn’t arise at will; and because faults arise naturally from their respective causes.)
- Rejecting the existence of a free cause, such as it is conceived by the Samkhya system, which includes refuting an independent cause and refuting a permanent self.
A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life: Patience 03 (download)