A talk on how to lay the foundation for the taking and giving (tonglen) practice, given at the Emaho Foundation in Scottsdale, Arizona on September 14, 2005.
Developing equanimity (download)
- Overcoming the gross discriminating mind that sees friends, enemies and strangers
- Seeing all beings as worthy of happiness and freedom from suffering
- Cultivating open-hearted concern for all
Developing love (download)
Reflecting on the kindness of sentient beings and seeing them as lovable.
Questions and answers: part one (download)
- What should we do about people who are in public service but lack integrity?
Questions and answers: part two (download)
- What is happiness?
- What is compassion?
Questions and answers: part three (download)
- How do you deal with the inner brat?
- How can you be happy when you can’t get what you really want?
Venerable Thubten Chodron also led a short guided meditation at the same venue on how to still the critical mind.