Day one of teachings from a workshop on the four immeasurables at Tai Pei Buddhist Centre, Singapore, November 13-14, 2002.
The four immeasurables—short version
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from sorrowless bliss,
May all sentient beings abide in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger.
The four immeasurables—long version
How wonderful it would be if all sentient beings were to abide in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger. May they abide in this way. I shall cause them to abide in this way. Guru-deity, please inspire me to be able to do so.
How wonderful it would be if all sentient beings had happiness and its causes. May they have these. I shall cause them to have these. Guru-deity, please inspire me to be able to do so.
How wonderful it would be if all sentient beings were free from suffering and its causes. May they be free. I shall cause them to be free. Guru-deity, please inspire me to be able to do so.
How wonderful it would be if all sentient beings were never parted from upper rebirth and liberation’s excellent bliss. May they never be parted. I shall cause them never to be parted. Guru-deity, please inspire me to be able to do so.
Introduction to the four immeasurables
- Why are they called “immeasurables”?
- Significance of the word “all”
Four Immeasurables 01 (download)
- How to relate to one’s children with equanimity
- Does it mean we shouldn’t be attached to our children?
Four Immeasurables 02 (download)
Questions and answers
- What it means to be a success in society?
- Being worried about being different.
Four Immeasurables 03 (download)
Questions and answers (continued)
- How to practice equanimity with those we really dislike
- How to practice with those who are unkind to us
- How to cultivate kindness in our every day life
- The significance of meditating on Chenrezig as a living being rather than as a statue
Four Immeasurables 04 (download)
Forgiving and apologizing
- What impedes our ability to forgive
- What we need in order to be able to apologize
- How pride can get in the way
- The benefits of forgiving and apologizing before we die
- Using Chenrezig meditation to increase our ability to forgive
Four Immeasurables 05 (download)
Love: Part 1
- What does it mean to be happy?
- What are the causes of happiness?
- Story of the cashmere sweater.
Four Immeasurables 06 (download)
Love: Part 2
- The karmic affect of donating to charity to get a tax break
- The benefits of creating positive thoughts when donating
- Giving with wisdom
- The happiness that comes from generosity
Four Immeasurables 07 (download)
- Why is being discontented problematic?
- Does contentment imply we will not try to make things better?
Four Immeasurables 07.5 (download)