Afternoon session of the October 28 workshop conducted at Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery in Singapore on October 27-28 and November 26, 2001
Establishing a topic and reflection questions
- What does it mean to forgive?
- Who do you want to forgive?
- What prevents you from forgiving?
- How can you forgive yourself and have an open heart?
Trg III 01: Forgiving (download)
Group’s reflections on forgiveness exercise
- Hardest to forgive those we are closest to
- Forgiveness benefits the other and self so healing can occur
- Separate the person from the act
- We think that by not forgiving, we are punishing the person and they will reform and change, but that doesn’t really happen
Trg III 02: Forgiving (download)
Emotions and forgiveness
- Dealing with memories
- The mind as creator of our experience
- Layers of forgiveness
- Global dimension
- Reduce hurt and anger through “letting go”
Trg III 03: Forgiving (download)
Steps for leading a discussion
- Summarize what will happen
- Do breathing meditation
- Review each question
- Instruct how to do groups (length each person speaks, etc.)
- Remind about the questions
- Break into groups
- Debrief, restate with the prominent points, pull different perspectives together.
Trg III 04: Review (download)
More tips and homework
- Instruct group on their behavior towards the leader
- Size of groups, planning ahead
Trg III 05: Tips and homework (download)