A talk given with hospice nurse Lee Paton in Seattle, Washington on November 19, 1996.
Introduction by Lee Patton and Venerable Thubten Chodron (download)
- Introduction to speakers and the program
- Instructions on breathing meditation and setting a motivation
Compassion in living and dying (download)
- Meaning of compassion in Buddhist view
- Looking at change through the process of dying and grieving
- Four components of dying process (physical component of change)
Psychological and spiritual changes (download)
- Questioning and reviewing past life
- Examining and letting go of attachments
What happens at the time of death? (download)
- The art of dying and the temptations
- Supporting and caring for the dying
- Being with what is
Questions and answers: part one (download)
- How long is it recommended for body to stay before cremation or burial process?
- How do we know when a procedure is going to make the death more difficult or easier?
- Does morphine interfere with spiritual process?
- Is there a sense of bitterness on the part of the dying?
Questions and answers: part two (download)
- For caretakers, how to handle things during a dying process?
- What to do when family of the dying refused to acknowledge death and to discuss death process with the dying?
- Ethical dilemma about ventilator to sustain the dying
Nature of death, impermanence and change (download)
- The nature of death
- People’s notions of “good” diseases, “bad” diseases, “good” deaths, “bad” deaths
- Value of thinking about death and the significance of death for living a good life
Questions and answers: part three (download)
- How to clean up unfinished business
- Compassion vs. co-dependence
Questions and answers: part four (download)
- Discussion on nursing practices when caring for the terminally ill and the dying
- In nursing profession–what constitutes compassion
- The right-to-die movement
- Wishes of the dying person–written vs. verbal agreement
The nature of grief (download)
- What does grief mean to us
- Working with our grief or with others in grief
- How to transform grief
Questions and answers: part five (download)
- Is grieving cyclical?
- Grieving from guilt
How to explain death to children (download)